Home

By Toby Warfel
CCC Journalism Program

BLACKWOOD – The Camden County College Visual Art Department will host a Winter Arts and Crafts Sale from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Dec. 9 and 10.

Students and alumni of the visual arts and photography programs will sell some of their work. Students and alumni will have the opportunity to set up shop in the Atrium of the Connector Building and sell their handcrafted, original goods.

Professor Gregory Brellochs and Art Technician Phil Rychert are co-coordinating this year’s winter sale. Brellochs said the arts and crafts sale happens once every winter and once every spring.

The sale “is an opportunity for students to get more involved in making work in a certain discipline, outside of the classroom,” Brellochs said.

Some goods anticipated at this year’s Winter Arts and Crafts Sale are jewelry, pottery, sculptures, paintings, drawings and photography. The price point for most of these items is from $5 to $35.

Katie Murphy, first-year photography student, plans on selling some of her photos at the Winter Arts and Crafts Sale. “I think it’s good to get to share some of my work and have the opportunity to get some positive feedback on my art,” Murphy stated.

Brellochs said other art sales often require the artists to give the sale organizations nearly half of their profits and art conventions could charge $200 to $300 to rent a booth. “Part of the goal,” Brellochs stated, “is for students to actually make some money.”

Participants in the Winter Arts and Crafts Sale will keep 90 percent of their profits and the remaining 10 percent will go toward funding next year’s sale.

This sale also allows students to be supported by their peers and community, Brellochs said. This support “shows students that their education has a direct application to their futures.”

Students or alumini who wish to participate must contact Rychert at prychert@camdencc.edu or Brellochs at gbrellochs@camdencc.edu.

The participants will be allotted space in the Atrium of the Connector Building to sell their artwork. By Toby Warfel, CCC Journalism Program

The participants will be allotted space in the Atrium of the Connector Building to sell their artwork. By Toby Warfel, CCC Journalism Program

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s